Ground turkey stuffed bell peppers are green bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey, brown Rice, cheese, onions and cilantro. They are simple and healthy.
Ground turkey stuffed bell peppers are my favorite healthy, Mexican-inspired stuffed pepper. Although Kitchen Swagger doesn’t always emphasize the word “healthy,” I believe whole foods and real ingredients are important to me. All things are fine when done in moderation,
These Mexican-inspired hot tamales are a favorite of Patty. After a few tasty stuffed bell peppers, she lured me to come up with my version. We always forget how to make them, which is the sad part.
Our secret weapon in our arsenal of Mexican staples is ground turkey stuffed peppers. Everybody makes loaded nachos and tacos, and burritos. But we are always surprised to find the tried-and-true stuffed pepper.
How to make Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers?
Stuffed bell peppers shouldn’t be complicated, but they should still be rich in flavor and meat. I use ground turkey lean, brown Rice (mainly for texture), diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and spices. Each ingredient is prepared in one cast iron skillet (plus one small bowl, but who counts? ).
Before baking, cook the ground turkey in the skillet with all the spices. I prefer to saute the tomatoes and onions before baking. While baking, the peppers will ensure that everything is hot, its primary purpose is to soften/cook them and melt the cheese.
What can you put in stuffed peppers?
There are many options, and there are no definite rules.
- Black beans or sauteed corn
- Brown Rice
- Fresh lime juice
- If you are like me, chop jalapeno.
- Cojitas or any Mexican cheese mix
- Sour cream
- Yellow or green onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- Your favorite spices and seasonings (chili powder or cumin, paprika or garlic powder, taco seasoning, or taco seasoning).
Ground beef can be used in place of turkey, but I prefer lean ground turkey. The seasonings add flavor and make it a healthier option to red meat. You might be able to turn into me if you serve stuffed peppers with my fresh Jalapeno margarita.
Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- PREP TIME 10 MIINS
- COOK TIME 45 MINS
- TOTAL TIME 55 MIINS
- YIELD: 2-3 1X
- CATEGORY: DINNER
- MEXICAN CUISINE
Stuffed green peppers with ground turkey and brown Rice.
- Ground turkey 1 lb
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 4 bell peppers, halved in length
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown Rice, quinoa or quinoa
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For cooking, use 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Optional: 3-4 slices minced jalapeno
- 1/3 cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Cooking Steps & Instruction
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- The bell peppers should be cut in half along the length. Set aside.
- Olive oil can be added to a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until tender, approximately 3 minutes. Mix ground turkey with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato, cumin chili powder, garlic powder and paprika. Let simmer for 3-4 more minutes. Place filling in a medium bowl.
- Place the turkey filling in each bell pepper cavity. Place the peppers in a skillet cavity-side up.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Take the peppers from the oven and top them with 1-2 tablespoons of cheese. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Before serving, garnish with minced cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 219mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- 2.5g saturated fat
- Carbohydrates: 50.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 34.4g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
If you liked this recipe, you’d love these:
Southwest Chicken Skillet Recipe
Spicy Fried Chicken and Waffles Recipe